Need help ?
If you need help with a family matter in San Diego, Imperial, Riverside, or Orange Counties, Attorney Anne is there to litigate or mediate your case.
Anne helps her clients get through the legal process by explaining their legal rights, what is going on, what will happen next in the process.
Anne devises the best plan of action for your litigated case and aggressively pursues it. Alternatively, Anne will mediate your case working hard to get you what you want and what you are entitled to.
Let Anne use her 30 years of legal experience to help your legal claim
Please fill out the form and we will get back to you shortly.
LIMITED SCOPE SERVICES
Limited-scope representation is when you and a lawyer agree that the lawyer will handle some parts of your case and you will handle others. This is different from more traditional arrangements between lawyers and clients where a lawyer is hired to provide legal services on all aspects of a case, from start to finish. Limited-scope representation is sometimes called “unbundling” or “discrete task representation.”
Here are some examples of limited-scope arrangements:
• You can just consult a lawyer and get legal information and advice about your case when you need it.
• You can hire the lawyer to represent you on certain issues in your case (like child support or custody) while you do the rest yourself.
• You can hire the lawyer to prepare the forms and other court documents but file them yourself and represent yourself at the hearings.
• You can hire the lawyer to explain to you how to represent yourself at the court hearings and help you prepare the evidence that you will present in court.
• You can hire the lawyer to help you with the more complicated parts of your case, such as discovery and legal research while you do the simpler tasks yourself
Limited Scope Services
When you cannot afford to pay for a lawyer to handle your entire case, limited-scope representation can be a great way for you to have legal help with your case while keeping costs down. Courts approve of limited-scope representation because they want to encourage people to get as much legal assistance as they need to protect their rights. They know that you will do a better job of following proper court procedures and presenting the important information to them if you have the help of a lawyer during the more complicated parts of a case.
Limited-scope representation vs. full representation
There are many benefits to limited-scope representation over full representation:
• By only paying a lawyer to do those parts of your case that you cannot do yourself, you can save you money on legal fees.
• The lawyer can use his or her time more efficiently by focusing that time on things you cannot effectively do yourself and leaving other more time-consuming tasks to you.
• You can keep greater control of your case than if the lawyer handles the entire case.
LIMITED SCOPE SERVICES
But, there are many times when limited-scope may not be a good choice, like when:
• Your case has a lot of technical issues or is very time-sensitive.
• You do not have the time to put into educating yourself and effectively handling many of the tasks that you need to do.
• There is a lot of stake in your case, so if you lose, you could lose your home, lose rights to see your children, or owe a lot of money.
Limited-scope representation vs. representing yourself
Limited-scope representation can often also be a better alternative than representing yourself:
• Having a lawyer helping you with parts of your case can save you a lot of time and energy because the lawyer can educate you about the process and your specific issues. He or she can also help you find self-help books and other resources so you can handle the parts of the case when you are on your own.
• A lawyer, by being more removed from your case than you are, can see things about your case that you cannot. A lawyer can help you focus on the legal issues and on what the court can do for you, and not let yourself be distracted by other issues and emotions.
• A lawyer can identify potential problems or hidden complications early on, so you can avoid making a costly mistake. The attached flow chart shows you the difference between limited scope and full service representation.
California State Bar Association License #207879